Thursday, November 4, 2010

25 Question Crash Course in Existentialism

*One should note that this is not in any way my rendition of an "Existentialism 101" type of article.  Rather, it is my own personal queue of questions that I would like to answer for myself.  Perhaps it may also be useful for others to do so as well.  I believe this is more or less refereed to as Existential Therapy.  While such therapy is often conducted between a licensed therapist and their patient, I believe that such questions are beneficial even in journaling/blogging.*

Part I - Wikipedia (to whom I do not often give much credit or recommend using as a reference) used similar questions to the following to compare atheistic existentialism, theistic existentialism, absurdism, and nihilism.  You can look up how each school of thought would answer the questions, but for authenticity's sake I will not. (13)
1)  Is there such a thing as meaning or value?
2)  Is there meaning in the universe (either intrinsic or from God)?
3)  Can we know what this meaning is?  If so, how?
4)  Can individuals create meaning in life for themselves?
5)  If it can be created, is it essential?
6)  If it can be created, must it incorporate anything?
7)  Is it possible to obtain intrinsic or extrinsic meaning?
8)  If it is possible, is the pursuit of intrinsic or extrinsic meaning possible?
9)  Does the pursuit have meaning?
10)  Is a constructed meaning possible?
11)  Is there a solution to one's desire to seek meaning? 
12)  If there is a solution, is it suicide, religion, or acceptance and revolt?
13)  If there is a solution and it is none of the above, what is it?

Part II - This is a type of Hedonistic Calculus used to depict the paradox between religious beliefs and their reprecutions. (4)
14)  What is lost/gained if you do believe in the Christian God and he does exist?
15)  What is lost/gained if you do believe in the Christian God and he does not exist?
16)  What is lost/gained if you do not believe in the Christian God and he does exist?
17)  What is lost/gained if you do not believe in the Christian God and he does not exist?

Part III - A quick glance at Wikipedia (begrudgingly again) leads to an article on Christian Existentialism which posits similar questions to these. (8)
18)  For what larger purpose do I exist?
19)  Does existence precede essence?
20)  What is the role of faith in my life?
21)  Is faith without works dead?
22)  What is the role of doubt in my life?
23)  Does revelation beget conversion?
24)  What is the soul?
25)  What happens to my soul upon death?

*That is some serious heavy thinking that will undoubtedly make my head hurt and possibly drive me half insane by the time I am finished answering them.  Nonetheless, the next several blog posts will contain my personal/opinionated answers to these questions, as well as (eventually) a summary of what this project has taught me... mostly about myself

**When reading my answers, it will be helpful to keep this post open in separate tab to reference back to

No comments:

Post a Comment